Monday, May 4, 2009

Facebook has run amuck.

Are you kidding me!
( this is my alternate title to this post)

Anyway, do you ever get so, so, I don't know, its a state that is half pissed off, half bewildered at what idiots people are? Well anyway, I am there. I am so flustered, I don't even know where to begin. I guess I will begin with a note Mark got on Facebook from his sister,

--------------------
Subject: Question

Hello Mark!

I found Nikki on facebook. I didn't add her as a friend, but emailed her a note asking how she was. She emailed me back and did a facebook friend request.

I am not sure what to do. I never want to make you or Carrie uncomfortable. If I add her as a friend and she posted, I think you all would see it.

What would you like me to do? I hate to bother you with this, but I don't want to make your life difficult either.

Love you! Michele
--------------------


Note to reader: Nikki is Mark's ex-wife and Michele and Nikki where never very close.
Why would anyone ask such a question? Since when is this appropriate?
Facebook is good to find old friends, who really meant something to you, who you've lost touch with, for birthday reminders and just keeping in touch with people you really care about.
Facebook is bad when people get obsessed with adding/collecting friends like they're a stamp or rare coin. Facebook is bad when people want to be my friend after 20 years of not talking because in high school you sat behind me in English and we never really talked to each other except for "can you grab my pencil on the floor?"
I was actually talking to a friend about Facebook recently and she said Priesthood Leaders in her area warned about inappropriate Facebook relationships, i.e. old boy/girlfriends. And that these were actually leading to infidelity.
Some people should just be kept in the past!


12 comments:

Shelley said...

Last night the CES fireside by Elder Bednar was exactly about this! Look it up as soon as the transcripts become available. It was a good one.

Michele said...

I will admit, I use Facebook to stalk people. Yes, I am a compulsive stalker. But here is the thing...some people you just don't add! And even if you do...sometimes you go back and delete them. Yes I go through my list and delete people on a regular basis. (So some day when you are no longer one of my friends, you will know why.) In the end, some people are just too nosy for their own good and end up sucking people into their weirdness.

Linda Barton said...

Wow,...I'll say it again,...wow. my little brothers' ex's (not married but way too serious!) tried to contact me. I clicked the *ignore* button. Who cares how the little &*%#'s are doiong anyways?

Young Family said...

Well said.

I deleted a friend just last week. Nope, it wasn't you.

Rekehl Johnson said...

I refuse to join Facebook because I can't handle anymore stress, decisions, time doing it, people's lack of common sense and I prefer to remain anonymous to people. I have enough friends and don't need anymore. Your post has confirmed even more why I'm going to keep staying off Facebook.

-Rekehl

Marianne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Crystal said...

I can't believe that! You have a right to be upset about your sis-in-law. I also feel that Facebook is a little out of control. It seems like some people are obsessed with it. I ignored my crazy sister-in-law because I really don't want to see what she is doing or thinking every minute of the day!

Marianne said...

Sorry, I had to delete my comment because 'eye kant spel tooday!' I only have good friends and a few cousins on. I have said "no" to so many people in facebook. Don't feel bad, it's your decision! And as Shelley said, follow the brethren on this subject.

Anonymous said...

Yeah that is a bit inappropriate She should of never emailed her in the first place or even looked for her. It is one thing if the X found her and asked to say hi. I agree with you have a right to be upset really does she even need to ask Mark about it?? Weird!!

Anonymous said...

P.S. I love that you posted this...... LOL

Mia said...

Carrie, seriously—thanks for being open about a touchy subject. I haven't joined Facebook because I would NOT be comfortable with old girlfriends/crushes contacting Rob, and I would not want to make Rob uncomfortable if an old boyfriend of mine showed up on Facebook. Like Rekehl said—I'd rather not have to handle any more stress than I have. My point is—I totally validate your feelings on this subject!

BTW I'm not saying Facebook is evil; I just want you to know I support your reaction and appreciate knowing that I'm not the only one on the planet who would respond this way in the same situation. :) Sending warm fuzzies your way...

Heather said...

I am with you 100%. I was caught p in "oh yeah, we were friends..." blah blah and then I was thinking. What do I put on facebook? Do I care what 5 favorite cereals someone I have not seen in 10 years has? Do they care that I did not sleep last night or that I am addicted to cadbury mini eggs? My current friends prob just humor me, so why put people I really don't know anymore through that? LOL so I decided to not add people that I just am not friends with anymore. Old friends that I was close with, I do like to hear about their kids, etc so its fine, but other than that, like you said, its not a popularity contest :)