13.1+13.1=26.2
The answer then states that I have completed a marathon right?
I can check that off the life bucket list right?
Enough with the math lessons, onto running. I learn a lot about myself when I run, sometimes good and sometimes bad. While training for the Top of Utah Half Marathon, these are the things I have learned.
1. Girls Weekends are so much fun, even if it includes 13.1 miles of pain.
2. Sometimes you need to unplug and just run. Meaning that the head phones and the GPS watch are a distraction to running. I rediscovered that I love to run when I left all the gear and home and just ran.
3. I love my Garmin Forerunner GPS watch but, I think it lies to me. I got my watch for my birthday. I love that the watch keeps me honest with my training, telling me my pace, elapsed time and distance in an instance. It makes it hard to run less than I am supposed to. It lies to me because I really can't be running that slow.
4. I love training on treadmill when a dear friend is next to me. This is the only way I am able to keep up with these beautiful ladies.
5. Running is pain that you enjoy.
6. Four o'clock in the morning is way to damn early to be up.
7. I love the quote by Steve Prefontaine.
"Most people run a race to see who is fastest.
I run a race to see who has the most guts."
But, I love my version more
"Most people run a race to see who is fastest.
I run a race to see if I have the guts."
The "Girls" ( Carolee, Laura, Emily and I, with the support of sweet Tamera) took off the great white north, known as Logan Utah, to run the Top of Utah Half Marathon. I was worried to go without my rock (Mark). I was worried that I did not have the mental toughness to make it by myself. I love the "Girls", they inspire me and commiserate with me when running sucks but, they are a lot faster than me so this one was up to me and me alone.
- I am thankful for a sweet smiling Laura that came back and ran with me the last half mile. I cannot tell you how seeing her lifted my spirits.
- I am thankful that Carolee constantly surprise me, with her growth and insight as a person.
- I am thankful for Emily who taught me what an athlete really is. Emily was not able to finish due to injury. As I looked up all of our times online at the finish of the race I noticed something, next to Emily's name there was a DNF (Did not Finish), next to names that followed her was DNS (Did not Start). So kudos to you Miss Emily for trying and making the effort.
- I am thankful for Tamera, who besides being a great driver, is such an amazing women, mother and friend.
- Thank you all Ladies.
I love that running can give me a purpose to exercise. I love running on track nights with the girls. I love that my family is so supportive of me. I love that on good days, I find clarity and my problems disappear. Somebody once said
Running to me is more of an emotional/spiritual journey than a physical one.
Until about a month ago I thought,
"I run, but I am not a runner."
Today, again I know that
I am a runner!
"I run, but I am not a runner."
Today, again I know that
I am a runner!

1 comment:
Good for you! I like your quote better too. It's funny when I'm out for a run I think why am I doing this? This isn't "fun" but your right, running is not necessarily about one thing such as fun, exercise, etc...it's about pushing yourself to be something you never thought you could.
Way to go Carrie!
Post a Comment