~Steve Prefontaine
I run to escape;
Escape my kids,
escape my depression,
escape my messy house.
I run to find clarity.
I run to find peace.
I run to de-stress.
I run to race only against myself.
I run so that I can one day see my grandkids graduate for high school.
I joke that because I am such a slow runner that I don't know if you can actually call it running, but I run nonetheless.
On Saturday, June 12, 2010 I ran my first half marathon, 13.1 miles. It was cold, it was wet and the course lead straight into the heart of Provo ( the third being the hardest obstacle to overcome, GO UTES!). I had to stop twice once to stand in line at the port-a-potty and once to have Mark bandage my blistered feet. My finishing time was about what I expected, nothing great, nothing terrible but, I finished. My three ( four in spirit, thanks Crystal), dear, dear friends drove down to cheer me to the finish. I saw them and tears filled my eyes, I got choked up and could barely breath during the last 100 yards to the finish line. My husband trailed off to let the finish be about me, he ran with me the whole time, much slower than his usual pace. He cheered me on, made me laugh, and literally pushed me up the last hill a mile before the finish. My sweet brother Byran, waited around an hour after he finished and met me at the finish line with a couple cups of water.
Until about a month ago I thought,
"I run, but I am not a runner."
Today I know that
I am a runner!
"I run, but I am not a runner."
Today I know that
I am a runner!


14 comments:
You are amazing...13 miles is a long way. Congratulations for finishing!
You are my hero. That is one AMAZING feat. Way. To. GO!!!!!
Congratulations! That is so awesome!!
I was there in spirit too Carrie!! My girls had a piano recital that I HAD to go to...I would have rather been in Provo to see you. (Go Cougars!) I am so proud of you! What an accompishment! :)
Wow, that is so awesome! I didn't know I'd be needing a tissue for this one, but that's ok. ;) That is really amazing that you did any sort of a marathon. I get slightly jealous but maybe in the next life I can be right next to you for a FULL marathon. Oh to have the ability to run....
Don't take that for granted.
You're amazing!:)
You are so amazing!! Way to go! You inspire me! (I think I'll run to the fridge-ha ha)
You are such an example to me, in many aspects of life. What an accomplishment to finish a half marathon! You are awesome!
Wow, you are an amazing woman! I am proud of you and your huge accomplishment!!!
I don't know you and you don't know me (I am related to Jill Bearden) but on her blog the title of this post caught my eye. I had to read it.
I'm so glad I did.
I love the quotes on running and your description of your event...particularly about your husband cheering you on, staying with you and finally, letting the end be about your accomplishment....it just touched my heart.
Just wanted you to know. A stranger is totally and completely inspired by your accomplishment!!!! COngratulations.
-Anna Bearden
Congrats you go girl and I am so proud of you. Wish I could do that congrats!!! What a great hubby you have there.
That is one heck of an accomplishment. Go Carie!
Very cool, so impressed. You are my hero! I hope to be able to do it one day.
Seriously. You are awesome. I've never run even close to that distance, and I've always counted myself as a runner. But you're the real deal. And, what a great husband you have. He's a keeper!
I agree—those endorphins make up for a lot of the day's junk. Keep on keepin' on!
Way to go Carrie! I could never do that. You rock!
Post a Comment