UPDATE: I finally found a better picture for this post, see the smile, this is obviously pre-op.
So a week ago I had what they (those pesky docs) call a bankart repair on my shoulder. Different from a rotatory cuff since it involves the glenoid. I have had a bum shoulder since the first time it dislocated at the age of 14 playing basketball against my best friend Amy in church Region basketball. Anyway, Dr. West laughed at me that finally after 20 years I came in to get it repaired. I told him it was affecting my volleyball game. To which he laughed a little more. Okay, I get the irony of the middle-aged, overweight women who is worried about her ability to play church volleyball. Anyway my shoulder had been getting worse to the point that it would dislocate when I reached up to pull the shower door shut. Time to get it done , I suppose.Shoulder surgery sucks. Let me clarify right shoulder surgery sucks. I have however, realized I don't make a bad left-hander. Except for vacuuming, I could not for the life of me figure out how to vacuum with my left hand. I am in a dilemma, obey the docs and not use the shoulder at all but, my shoulder feels pretty good and it is almost down right impossible to get anything done with my old lefty?
Anyway, I am tired of pain killers, tired of my sling, tired of not being able to go anywhere because of the painkillers, tired of not being able to run (running can get me of these pity parties I like to hold for myself).
So enough of the negatives on the positive side, I do not or cannot play ward basketball this season( love to play, hate the dramatics of dealing with uber-competitive Christian females who too often forget they are Christians at all), and next fall watch out for my powerhouse serve to return in volleyball.
Anyway, I remember that about a year ago I wrote a post about being in funk this just might be a January funk thing too.
10 comments:
Just make the girls vacuum for you...my boys fight over turns to do it. They sometimes miss spots, but you can point those out with your toes and not hurt your shoulder. :)
First of all thanks for the diagram. Now I understand perfectly. Second of all, I go places on painkillers all the time lol. Third, if you want another shoulder surgery by all means, push your limits....just remember....pain is temporary, ruining your shoulder is forever. (at least until the resurrection) Hang in there!!!
I hope you heal up fast, Carrie! You'll be awesome in basketball and volleyball next year, for sure.
I wonder what the RS basketball games would be like without the prayer and Relief Society declaration?? ;)
So sorry for the pain I have been causing you these 20 some odd years...Glad you had it done. Now will you come out to Missouri and play volleyball with me when you are all healed up!! Take care!!
Amy
Hope you get better soon miss Carrie. Keep smiling!!
I'm glad it went well. If you need any help with anything, or if you want dinner, let me know. Sorry I couldn't be around to help those first few days.
Sorry about your shoulder. It sounds just like you to ignore a serious injury on yourself to take care of everybody else's needs. I'm glad you got it taken care of! Meds are fun, except when you need them. And don't worry about vacuuming, that's why you have a dog.
Sorry to hear you had to have surgery! Hang in there! You were already amazing at volleyball...now I'll be really scared to play against you.
`Hey there, I hope you are feeling better! Make sure you listen to the Dr. My uncle has had shoulder surgery a couple times and I can't imagine you want to do this again! Let it heal cause in the grand scheme of things, its ok for the floor to be dirty (what about your girls? Ethan loves to vacuum), and anything else kind of sucks, but time flies whether you are having fun or not. It will be over soon and you can move on! Good luck!
I'm glad you posted about this. I knew it was something about your shoulder but had no clue what. I get bursitis real bad in my righty (from overuse). I've heard shoulder surgery is the pits but sometimes it feels like it'd be worth it if they could fix it and make it all better. Sorry you've been laid up like that. I'd be in a "funk" too. If you need any help with anything, please let me know. I am a master vacuumer! Seriously, it's the one and only chore that I really don't mind. Take it easy!!!:)
Post a Comment